What is the LAP-BAND® System?
Approved by the FDA in June 2001, the LAP-BAND® Adjustable Gastric Banding System is a minimally invasive, adjustable and reversible surgical treatment for morbid obesity. It is also the gastric banding system with the most experience in the United States.
The LAP-BAND® System induces weight loss by reducing the capacity of the stomach, which restricts the amount of food that can be consumed. Since its clinical introduction in Europe in 1993, over 300,000 LAP-BAND® System devices have been sold around the world.
The LAP-BAND® System Advantage
- Minimally invasive approach
- No cutting or stapling of the stomach wall or bowel, and no intestinal re-routing
- Small incisions and minimal scarring
- Reduced patient pain, length of hospital stay and recovery period
Fewer Risks and Side Effects
- 10 times less operative and short-term mortality than gastric bypass1
- Low risk of nutritional deficiencies associated with gastric bypass
- No “dumping syndrome” related to dietary intake restrictions
- Allows individualized degree of restriction for ideal, long-term weight loss rate
- Adjustments performed without additional surgery
- Supports pregnancy by allowing stomach outlet size to be opened for increased nutritional needs
- Removable at any time
- Stomach and other anatomy are generally restored to their original forms and functions
Effective Long-Term Weight Loss
- More than 300,000 LAP-BAND® System devices sold worldwide
- Standard of care for hundreds of practices around the world
- #1 selling adjustable gastric band for weight loss
- Academic publications with up to 10 years of follow-up
1. Executive summary: Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding for the treatment of obesity (update and re-appraisal). The Australian Safety and Efficacy Register of New Interventional Procedures – Surgical (ASERNIPS) 2002.