We are proud to offer The Joint Academy—a dedicated joint replacement program. Here, your joint replacement journey encompasses the entire process from the time you decide to have surgery until your last outpatient physical therapy session.
We embrace an individualized approach to your care that includes developing a surgical plan that reduces your pain, increases your activity level and improves your quality of life—as quickly and as safely as possible. Following your surgery, you will be a guest in our orthopedic unit and will receive postoperative care tailored to your specific needs and goals. A patients length of stay is individualized and based on the procedure.
Features of The Joint Academy include:
- A strong focus on preparation and education. All students receive a comprehensive educational handbook to follow throughout the Academy experience.
- Staffs an orthopedic surgeon, physician assistant, nurses, physical and occupational therapists, and others who are specially trained in the care and rehabilitation of patients who undergo joint replacement surgery.
- Emphasizes group and individual activities. Friendly support and competition among patients is motivating and works as an incentive following surgery. Individual therapy will be held every morning and group therapy every afternoon.
- The day after your surgery, you will change into your own clothes and begin your physical and occupational therapy. You will be expected to get moving to build strength and achieve a healthy lifestyle. Patients of The Joint Academy are not considered “sick.”
- You are encouraged to have a family member or friend to act as the “coach” during your recovery. Every team requires a coach to encourage and even push the “player” in the right direction.
- All of the rooms in our orthopedic unit are private and were specifically designed with the joint replacement patient in mind. Every room has its own large, accessible bathroom with a shower.
Allegan Orthopedic & Sports Medicine Center